If you’ve been following the rising star of CBD, you’ve likely seen it advertised as an ingredient in everything from toothpaste to bath bombs to drinks, and plenty in between. Is CBD something you should be seeking out? And if so, why?
What is CBD?
The cannabis (or marijuana) plant contains over 100 cannabinoids, which are chemical compounds. The main psychoactive cannabinoid in cannabis is Tetrahydrocannabinol (also known as THC). THC causes the "high" that marijuana is known for.
Cannabidiol (also known as CBD) is another cannabinoid in cannabis, but unlike THC it is not psychoactive. This allows consumers of CBD to have the benefits the cannabis plant can have without the high.
Top 11 Benefits of CBD
1. CBD relieves pain. For thousands of years, marijuana has been used medicinally to relieve pain. Studies have shown that CBD can interact with the body's neurotransmitters, which can help your body to reduce inflammation and pain. Studies have also shown the success of using CBD to ease the pain of individuals with arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
2. CBD may help with anxiety and depression. While many anxiety and depression medicines have negative side effects and can be addictive, CBD is a more natural option that has been linked to providing relief for these disorders. CBD has shown to be helpful with post-traumatic stress disorder, too.
3. CBD is a source of vitamins. CBD contains vitamins C, D, E, A, and a handful of the B vitamins, including riboflavin, thiamine, and niacin. These can be beneficial to those who follow a vegan diet.
4. CBD has possible heart benefits. Some studies have found CBD to be helpful in reducing resting blood pressure. One of these studies noted that participants who had used CBD before undergoing a stress test showed a smaller increase in blood pressure levels than they did in stress tests they took without their dose of CBD. CBD also has antioxidant properties, which, combined with its ability to reduce stress, have been shown to reduce heart disease.
5. CBD may help improve sleep. CBD has been shown to help reduce levels of cortisol (the stress hormone), which can help you relax at bedtime enough to fall asleep. As we learned earlier, CBD can help ease anxiety, and that can play into helping people who take CBD reach dreamland a little easier.
6. CBD is a good source of protein. Protein is crucial for our bodies to build and maintain tissues, cells, and even our immune system. CBD contains all amino acids, making it a complete protein source. Sources of protein are very important for people who restrict meat and animal products in their diet.
7. CBD may reduce acne. Studies have shown CBD oil to be helpful in reducing acne, mainly for its anti-inflammatory properties. When CBD oil is applied to sebaceous glands, it reduces sebum production. Overproduction of sebum and inflammation are leading causes of acne.
8. CBD supports immune strength. Acne is not the only area where the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD are beneficial. These properties, along with CBD's ability to support natural killer cells (which are white blood cells that help our body fight viruses), make CBD a good choice in helping boost your immune system. CBD also assists in gut health, which is key to your overall health and immunity.
9. CBD may reduce cancer-related symptoms. Although CBD cannot cure or help cancer itself, it can help with some of the not-so-fun cancer-related symptoms. Studies have shown CBD to be effective in helping cancer patients manage their pain, nausea, and vomiting.
10. CBD may help with neurological disorders. While studies are still being conducted regarding CBD’s role in mitigating neurological disorders, preliminary studies show promising results in reducing symptoms for people with severe epilepsy, Dravet syndrome, Alzheimer's disease, and multiple sclerosis.
11. CBD may help with substance abuse treatment. When studied on rats, CBD decreased morphine dependence. It also reduced heroin-seeking behavior.
Ongoing studies are finding new applications for CBD and revealing new benefits in the process. For example, one study on mice shows CBD inhibiting the spread of aggressive breast cancer cells. As these studies were only conducted on mice, human studies are needed before conclusions can be drawn, but the prospect is hopeful.
If you are in the market for a new CBD product, you can check out our line of yummy, CBD oil gummies. Gummies are a fun and easy way to get extra vitamins and supplements into your diet. If you are more interested in topical applications of CBD, we also offer a wide variety of beauty products with CBD oil, including CBD facial masks, CBD oil roll-ons, CBD beauty butter, and more. CBD provides the nourishing and pampering that your body deserves on the daily.